The Style Sample | Cincinnati Brand Stylist | How to: Wear socks + heels
Style + Branding + Digital
branding,stylist,cincinnati,fashion
2226
post-template-default,single,single-post,postid-2226,single-format-standard,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,select-theme-ver-3.7,side_area_uncovered,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.0.1,vc_responsive

How to: Wear socks + heels

How to: Wear socks + heels

Sometimes, styles that were once seen as fashion DEATH become socially acceptable and are canonized as part of the style lexicon. Remember when wearing heels with jeans was a no-no back in, like, 1997?

Socks and heels were long seen as anathema to the fashion community, conjuring up images of fetish-y babydoll wear most often seen on “glamour models” in Frederick’s of Hollywood catalogs, but the look has gained acceptance over the past few seasons.

Versace circa 1995, 華麗袍上釘蚤子, Peony Lim, Park + Cube, Style.com

Wearing socks with your heels is a perfectly acceptable way to extend the life of your warm-weather shoes by adding an extra layer of warmth to make them appropriate for cooler weather. It’s not just a fashion magazine/runway thing, either. Us regular folks can do it, too!

Try it out:

O Alfaiate Lisboeta華麗袍上釘蚤子 , Chictopia, B. Jones Style

Boots + thigh-high socks Try this under a mini or heavy shorts. I like to wear tights underneath as an extra layer.

Booties + ankle socks Great when you’re wearing cropped pants or booties with cutouts–the socks will show through, so experiment with a bright color.

Low heels + knee socks Keep this from looking too Britney Spears-circa-1999 by scrunching the socks a bit and pairing with sensible, grown-up clothing.

What do you think? Have you/would you wear socks and heels?

11 Comments
  • […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Bella Styles. Bella Styles said: Cute RT @StyleSample New post! How to: Wear socks + heels http://bit.ly/fMrl2e […]

• Kim

January 18, 2011 at 4:30 pm Reply

I would absolutely wear socks and heels. I have done knee socks with a tall boot with a wedge heel. I had planned to try with heels during the fall months, but never found an occasion I deemed ‘appropriate’ for the look I was going for. Definitely a “to try” look for when the snow and ice lay off of Maryland and I can ditch the wellies for high-heeled footwear again!

• tamia

February 1, 2011 at 10:34 am Reply

@Chic Mommy I KNOW…I miss non-boot weather!

• Marie

January 19, 2011 at 11:40 am Reply

Love the look of this comb, but never tried it! I wear socks with boots quite often. Alas, like Kim, I haven’t found the “right place/time” to wear socks with heels.

• tamia

February 1, 2011 at 10:32 am Reply

@Marie It comes in handy in transitional seasons (Fall, Spring) when it’s not hot enough for open toes, not cold enough for full-on boots.

• Marie

January 19, 2011 at 11:43 am Reply

Oops, I meant “combo”.

• Shawna Katz

January 21, 2011 at 3:09 pm Reply

Yes, I love socks with heels. Although I always get the, “Are you really gonna wear that?” look from the husband when I do. But, hey I want my toes warm too!

• tamia

February 1, 2011 at 10:27 am Reply

@Shawna Yeah, sometimes FriendBoy gives me those looks! I just tell him he’s not as well-versed in the way this whole fashion thing works

• Goldtoe Brand

January 25, 2011 at 12:48 pm Reply

My name is Laura Moretz, and I am the social media specialist for Goldtoe socks. I found this blog and thought you might like to know about our women’s sundance knee high. It is my favorite with socks. We are currently having a 40% off sale on this style at our website. http://www.goldtoe.com enter code SUNDANCE to get the discount.

• […] this is probably going to sound silly, but I think my ankles are too skinny to pull off the socks-with-heels thing. Seriously, […]

• […] I’ve talked about the whole socks with heels trend before, both here and on a Fox 19 segment about the shoot I styled for A-Line‘s August issue. After we finished […]