The Style Sample | Cincinnati Photo & Brand Stylist | How to: Wear sweats to work
Styling + Branding + Connections
branding,stylist,cincinnati,fashion,photographer,midwest,creative
2302
post-template-default,single,single-post,postid-2302,single-format-standard,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,select-theme-ver-3.7,side_area_uncovered,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.0.1,vc_responsive

How to: Wear sweats to work

How to: Wear sweats to work

Sometimes it’s all I can do to drag myself out of bed, let alone get into corporate power-bitch mode. I’ve been a proponent of the “dressy sweats” trend for a while, and even though I usually work from home now, this trick still comes in handy when I have to look halfway decent but don’t feel like getting dressed up.

Victoria’s Secret camisole and pants

I bought these cotton & cashmere blend sweat pants from Victoria’s Secret last year, and they’ve been my go-to lounge around the house gear ever since.

Thrifted shirt, men’s watch

American Apparel cardigan, earrings from Morrison & Me, vintage ring

Note that I’m still comfy! The cardigan is stretchy cotton, and I keep the accessories light and easy.

Thrifted blazer, Charles David heels, Buxton folio

Other than the blazer (which provides warmth) and the shoes (I’ll be sitting all day, so it doesn’t really matter), I’m basically wearing the same thing I’d wear to sit on the couch. If you think you can get away with wearing sweats to work, try it! But don’t fall asleep at your desk…

26 Comments
  • Leah Wells

February 7, 2011 at 8:44 am Reply

Thank you Thank you Thank you for this post! Its not so much that I dont feel like getting out of bed… its the mere fact that I want to make it to my group fitness classes on time. Sometimes Im battling to get out of the office to change for my workout. Only to be winded & frazzled before I even start my workout. You’ve inspired me!

• tamia

February 8, 2011 at 8:46 pm Reply

I always forget most people wear sweats to work out in. That didn’t even occur to me!

• Prissy

February 7, 2011 at 9:00 am Reply

I like the way you put this together…They really dont look like “sweat pants” anymore. I tend to get away with alot of non-professional items for work, but I dont think sweats will fly!!! LOL

Prissy

• tamia

February 8, 2011 at 8:48 pm Reply

You never know! These are knit, so I just figured if anyone says something I’ll tell ’em they’re sweaterpants!

• Christine

February 7, 2011 at 11:50 am Reply

Hilarious! Looks Great, too
    🙂

• Kandeezie

February 7, 2011 at 1:41 pm Reply

YES! Beyond amazing. How you came up with this, I don’t even know. But it’s brilliant!

• tamia

February 8, 2011 at 8:45 pm Reply

It came to me via pure, unadulterated laziness.

• […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Kandeezie, Septembre Anderson and Nailah Blades, TamiaS. TamiaS said: New post! How to: Wear sweats to work http://bit.ly/hyidTj […]

• J'adore...

February 7, 2011 at 2:40 pm Reply

Love this post. I’ll be starting a job at an medical insurance company and this is the perfect way to inject some fashion into a dowdy workplace.

• Megs

February 7, 2011 at 2:45 pm Reply

Genius!

• diana

February 7, 2011 at 4:37 pm Reply

Genius!!! love it 😀

• Closet Fashionista

February 7, 2011 at 5:50 pm Reply

Oh wow, that looks awesome! 😀

• Katie

February 8, 2011 at 12:31 am Reply

They look great on you 🙂

• Fajr | Stylish Thought

February 8, 2011 at 10:52 am Reply

You make sweatpants look so chic and polished! And who’s gonna check you boo for being comfy and stylish!

Are you coming to Evolving Influence this year?

• tamia

February 8, 2011 at 8:43 pm Reply

Nope, can’t make it this go ’round. Plus, NYC in September is fine, but in February? Naaahhhh!

• Lia

February 15, 2011 at 1:19 pm Reply

You are amazing!!! I need to pick up a pair of black sweats like that now…If anybody in my office would attempt to wear sweats it’s me! I’m notorious for wearing football jerseys to work, wearing them with a suit, of course!
    xxooxoxo
    Lia

• tamia

February 22, 2011 at 9:17 am Reply

I love that idea, Lia! The few times I’ve worn a suit, it’s almost always with a t-shirt.

• Vera

February 17, 2011 at 1:33 pm Reply

This is gorgeous!

• Wear Your Sneakers This Fall «

September 12, 2011 at 12:17 pm Reply

[…] to know how to wear sweats to work? The Style Sample writes an interesting article on what key pieces and accessories to pair with sweatpants. If you […]

• Joy And Sunshine

December 22, 2012 at 1:30 pm Reply

[…] How to wear sweats to work and still look professional: a step-by-step guide, complete with visual aids […]

• That’s Good to Know! | Joy And Sunshine

December 22, 2012 at 1:31 pm Reply

• 2 Ways to Wear Sweatpants and Heels

March 1, 2013 at 12:16 pm Reply

[…] step-by-step tutorial – with illustrations! – on how to dress up your sweats, check out this post from The Style […]

• […]  She  often posts step-by-step “how to’s” …my favorite ? A tutorial on How to : Wear  Sweatpants To Work !  She gives me life!  Not only  does she inspire me but thousands of followers that flock to […]

• simone

September 27, 2013 at 12:24 pm Reply

Love everything about this outfit!! And love your blog! Im a fellow blogger and just moved to Cincy from SoCal…yes, it’s an adjustment! lol. Perusing your blog for great places to shop and things to do! Thanks for being great! xo

• tamia

October 15, 2013 at 11:54 pm Reply

Well, welcome! Your site looks amazing, by the way.

• […] lounge wear. For the most part, this is the case due to how comfortable it is. However, I recently discovered that sweatpants are and can be a fantastic alternative for business casual wear and had to try it out on my […]